Aditya Birla to spend

Aditya Birla Group Inc. is to spend $C15 million on its Atholville, NB, mill and increase its share holding from 50 to 75% as part of its capacity expansion plans. Tembec Inc., the other partner, will hold 25%. The government of New Brunswick has committed $C17.3 million to help with the upgrades. The company said it would need 25 to 30% more wood from Crown and private lands to produce enough dissolving pulp to make the upgrades feasible. AV Cell produces 330 tonnes/day (t/d) of specialty grade dissolving pulp for the textile industry. Capacity will be increased to 360 t/d. The mixed softwood and hardwood dissolving pulps are used exclusively by the groups' global viscose staple fiber businesses in India, Thailand and China. Another mill in Nackawic, NB, is being converted from paper pulp to dissolving pulp in a $C45-million project. PI

 Back to the New Product Forum

Paper Industry Publishing Office
PO Box 2419, Montgomery, Alabama 36102
Toll Free:1-888-224-6611
Tel: (604) 264-1158  Fax: (604) 264-1367
Publisher: Tim Shaddick
Email: info@paperindustrymag.com